Friday, May 18, 2007

Taking a break from the break

The book is done and out - not down and out, hopefully - on bookshelves in stores and libraries across America, and in homes across the world, in some pulpits too. I've done what i could to flog it through personal appearances, interviews and book fairs, and will continue to promote it as a perennial, if not best, seller. It's up to you all to hold up your end and go buy a copy. If the brick-and-mortar bookstores don't have it in stock, they'll order it for you; it's all over the web, even Walmart and e-bay list it, for God's sake. I don't quite know what to make of it when sellers on A Libris and AbeBooks ask over a hundred bucks per copy, more than twice the cover price. Should i be flattered that it's so highly appraised or is it just an instance of rapacious capitalism?

The flurry of activity having tapered off, i've started working on the follow-up Wisdom for the Soul of Black Folk and other projects. God knows, i have a million things to do, but it's been difficult to come down off my high and tackle the tasks in front of me with the same level of energy. I keep going from one thing to the other, instead of working steadily on one thing to completion. It has, however, given me pause to reflect more than i have been lately, basically to stop and smell the roses, or the coffee which i happen to love. I've resolved to go out more, see people, movies, exhibitions, the like. Not to push myself so hard, but just do stuff, like writing in this blog.


No comments: